By Kate Lillie
Originally published on Global Comment
For the last month, we at Global Comment have posted a song a day of the best Christmas songs of all time. Now, here they are gathered together into one post, with an added Spotify list. What’s your favourite Christmas song? Did we get it right? Let us know in the comments.
24. Step Into Christmas – Elton John
Another classic from 1973, and probably Vladimir Putin’s favourite Christmas song.
23. A Spaceman Came Travelling – Chris De Burgh
The only Christmas song I know of which makes the Angel Gabriel into an alien (luckily, a friendly alien). Also, my dog’s favourite Christmas song.
22. I Believe in Father Christmas – Greg Lake
And the award for best hair goes to…
21. Mary’s Boy Child/Oh My Lord – Boney M
The Boney M carousel. Need I say more?
20. Merry Christmas Everyone – Shakin Stevens
Great song, hilarious video. What’s not to love?
19. Lonely This Christmas – Mud
The most tongue-in-cheek sad/not sad Christmas song of all time.
18. Do You Hear What I Hear? – Bing Crosby
If the title Father Christmas wasn’t already taken by Santa Claus, it would belong to Bing Crosby. This is a man who can even make the Cuban Missile Crisis festive.
17. Fairytale of New York – Kirsty MacColl and The Pogues
Drug abuse, alcoholism, swearing and relationship breakdown – the anti-Christmas Christmas song.
16. Sleigh Ride – The Ronettes
A light-hearted caper through the holidays in this 1960s classic.
15. Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! – Dean Martin
Dean Martin died on Christmas day, but left us this gorgeous song to remember him by.
14. Little Saint Nick – The Beach Boys
Because Santa’s hot rod deserves a song of its own.
13. Rocking Around The Christmas Tree – Brenda Lee
All the way back to the 1950s, when people used to dance around their Christmas trees for fun.
12. Stop The Cavalry – Jona Lewie
An anti-war protest Christmas classic.
12. What Christmas Means to Me – Stevie Wonder
A very happy Motown Christmas – this song is a slice of sheer delight.
10. Mistletoe and Wine – Cliff Richard
One of the best Christmas songs of all time.
9. 2000 Miles – The Pretenders
Beautiful, simple, bittersweet.
8. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) – Michael Bublé
The showgirl song of the collection, and all-singing, all-dancing production and one of the very few worthwhile modern additions to your playlists.
7. Wonderful Christmastime/War Is Over – McCartney/Lennon
Two amazing songs by former Beatles released ten years apart, and very different in character.
6. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town – The Supremes
The original 1930s sheet-music Christmas hit, sung by one of the biggest bands of the 1960s. Yes, really.
5. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day – Wizzard
A beloved childhood classic from the titans of glam rock, this song is not just a fantastic party tune, it’s also an incredible video.
4. Driving Home for Christmas – Chris Rea
Be seduced by Chris’ husky voice as he drives home for Christmas.
3. Last Christmas – Wham!
The best Christmas song of the 1980s: a tangled tale of love, loss, betrayal and hairspray.
2. All I Want For Christmas Is You – Mariah Carey
My favourite Christmas song ever, and the most fun song to sing along (badly) to.
1. Merry Xmas Everyone – Slade
It was last year’s most-streamed Christmas song on Spotify in the UK and it earns Noddy and his bandmates an estimated £500,000 in royalties every year; possibly even less than they deserve for brightening the Christmases of so many people over the past forty years. Merry Xmas Everybody!
As an added extra from the team at Global Comment, we wanted to give you a little Christmas gift… in the form of a Spotify playlist. It includes all of the songs from our musical advent calendar as well as lots more which we didn’t have enough days to feature. There are some great songs in here which will liven up your Christmas (or your car journeys) and they are great for singing along to with your dog, as I can testify. So – happy Christmas! https://open.spotify.com/user/globalcomment/playlist/4rx0hQfTKqCYr0TiDUaLn1